Thursday, August 30, 2012

2 Shoe Reviews: J.Crew Cece ballet flats and Banana Republic Willow Boots

Greetings friends, no OOTD today as I had the pleasure of taking care of a vomiting child all night and then working all day today....oh and did I mention my husband is out of town?  GOOD, good times folks.  So needless to say I'm not looking my finest today...but I did want to bring you two reviews of footwear I have purchased lately.  First up is the J.Crew's Cece ballet flat in tortoise:


Front view

Cece ballet flat in tortoise
$79.99 in-store
Not online, but solid colors here

You probably haven't seen me in a flat, other than Jack Rogers navajo sandals, since this blog began.  Well ladies I have decided that is going to change.  I fell head over heels with these tortoise flats at J.Crew, and I think the color and pattern is wonderful for autumn.  You know that old wives' tale that your feet grow after you go through pregnancy and have children?   Hate to tell you, it's true.  Before having children I was a solid size 8.5  After the first two boys I noticed a 9 felt much better.  After my third son came along, I now take a 9.5 in some shoes, especially flats.  Long gone are the 8.5 days.  So I did take these in a 9.5, and they seem very comfortable.  But I haven't actually worn them yet, so we will see.  But I LOVE the shape, design, leather and pattern of these.  I don't see them online, but they are on sale for 79.99 in-store, down from $138.00.   A bit pricey sure, but I think the cost per wear will be worth it.

Next we have a flat riding boot I purchased during last weekend's Friends and Family at Banana Republic, where you could get up to 5 regularly priced items for 50% off.  These boots were the only item I purchased, as they were $198 so I only paid $99...I think that's a great price for high quality leather boots.  Say what you will about their clothing, but I have always thought Banana Republic had great quality footwear. 

Willow Riding Boot in deep cognac
Banana Republic, $198 here 
I took a size 9 in these.  The color is a wonderful cognac, and I love the buckle detail.  Some reviews felt like the calf opening was too wide, but as someone with muscular running calves, I didn't find this to be a problem at all.  These are pull on with no zipper, which is how I prefer a riding boot.  I know I will get tons of use out of these in the fall, and I'm so happy I paid $99 for them. 

What are your thoughts on these shoes?  Do you own either pair?  Thanks for visiting!

13 comments:

  1. Ewww, yuck! I remember those days! Hope the little one is feeling better soon and that you are able to get some rest tonight!
    Love those tortoise flats! I'm a sucker for anything tortoise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those flats but I have MORE than enough ballet flats! In the words of Liz Lemon, "S that D. Shut it down. Dealbreaker."

    The boots look like an amazing deal! I agree, BR footwear holds up like a champ, I still have some basic black pumps from there that are probably 10 years old and still holding up very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need some flats so I was happy to get these...wearing them today!

      Delete
  3. oh both pairs are fantastic! i adore flats, i usually wear them most of the time since my main mode of transportation is walking. i can't wait for fall - boot season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing that keeps me from being sad about the impending winter is boot season!

      Delete
  4. I don't plan to have kids for a long time yet, if ever, but gee I WISH my feet would grow! It's really hard to be a size 5 when so many cute shoes stop at a size 6. And I have to be careful with high-vamp shoes like Toms and flat oxfords--combined with dainty ankles and muscular legs, my feet can look abnormally out of proportion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm I think my feet were a size 6 in 3rd grade, lol

      Delete
  5. Those are some great go-with-everything boots, really like tem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I will get a lot of us out of them!

      Delete
  6. I am in love with the boots. AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh me! Oh my! so jealous of your cece flats - I had been spying them because they would be such a versatile flat. Ah well - I hope you enjoy them :)

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete