Saturday, October 27, 2012

I am a runner.


Bare faced and ready to run.
OK fine, I do have a little mascara and lipgloss on.
I am a runner.  True, I am also a wife, mother, daughter, friend...the list of my titles is long.  But in my mind, runner is near the top of that list.  It doesn't mean that I'm fast, or that I'm an expert.  What it does mean is running has been such an emotional outlet for me for so many years, in my mind I will always carry that title.  Runner.  I've run in many areas of the country and world.  From Central Park in New York to Balboa Park in San Diego, from the streets of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to the beaches of Riviera Maya, Mexico...I've run everywhere I've traveled.  I hope my body can still run when I'm 80...

I started running regularly during my sophomore year in college, when I came to the realization that the freshman 15 was not an urban legend but a reality that had occured in my life.  At first all I could handle was 20 minutes.  But I built my endurance up, and up some more, and eventually I was running everyday, in every kind of weather.  I was known for my ugly green leggings and head wrap I would wear to brave the cold winter days in Columbus, Ohio.  My husband, whom I had not yet formally met at the time, tells me he and his buddies would know exactly what time I'd pass by their fraternity house during my runs.  The running helped me lose that freshman 15.  More importantly, I loved how running helped me clear my mind and gave me time to work through whatever challenges I was facing.  Important project stressing me out?  Running always brought things back in perspective.  Challenging final coming up?  A run after studying would always lower my stress level.

My running continued after my college days ended.  I ran through the pain of moving away from my family and friends, to new cities as I pursued my television career.  I ran through the anxiety of watching my mom battle cancer, and I ran through the stress of working in a governor's office.  I even ran through three pregnancies, albiet not as long or as hard as usual.   Over the past 15 years or so, I trained many long hours for marathons and half marathons in several different cities.  I cried at the finish line each time, overcome with the emotion that came with completing 13.1 or 26.2 miles on my own two legs.

At this point in my life, with the daily juggle of a different career and family, my running does not receive the attention it once did, but I try to go for long runs whenever possible.  I do hit the gym daily, but to me, a gym workout just isn't the same as the exhiliration of running outside, where I can feel the wind in my face and smell the autumn leaves or spring blooms.  I can't dedicate the time to running that I once did, but that's ok.  My little boys need me more than my running shoes do.  I know that someday, when my boys are grown and don't care so much about having their mom around all the time, I can be back on my marathon schedule. 

I'm thankful that running has shaped my life in its own unique way.  It has shown me what I am capable of, and it has given me a certain strength that I would have missed out on otherwise.  Just think, had I not gained that freshman 15 all those years ago, I may have missed out on one of my favorite titles in my life:  Runner.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impress! I was never a good runner, I always prefered to walk instead, but I would love to have this feeling and strengh of running! Good girl!!! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! thanks for sharing! i'm in my early 30s and just discovered how great running is. better late than never! i really enjoy hearing how other people got involved with running and what inspires them to keep going. i got involved in a running group through my gym and trained and finished my first half marathon. it felt amazing and i want to continue to make running a part of my life. you hit on so many points that i agree on... running through stress (which i agree helps immensely), running in different areas while traveling (which i tell myself is a private souvenir just for myself) and just knowing you finished a small route or a big race all by yourself with your own 2 legs. thanks again for the inspiring post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting! Congrats on your half marathon!! Amazing!

      Delete
  3. That's cool! A friend's husband and kids gave her a new pair of running shoes for Christmas every year so she could chase after/keep up with the kids :-) I thought that was a cute idea. I'm sure your running shoes are still getting a workout, just not the long distance kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea of the running shoes as a gift! Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  4. I need to start running more - I can't handle more than 15-20 minutes at a time right now, so I give you major props for starting and staying with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to keep it up and build up! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. Great post. I started running freshman year of HS, and got my varsity letter in track and cross country all four years. It was the team aspect that got me hooked. I stopped running for a couple years and am finding it extremely hard to start again without getting shin splints... SO frustrating. I could go run 5 miles with no problem... but my body gets very angry with me, since I am completely out of shape. I am with you though, the main reason I like running is that it is the best stress reliever EVER!!! Good for you for sticking with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about running is if you get back into it, you shape up fairly quick! Bummer about the shin splints! Hate that!

      Delete
  6. I love running - for many of the reasons you said - it clears my mind, helps me relax and gather my thoughs after a stressful work day, and it gives me my much-needed alone time. This is the first year I plan to attempt winter running. Normally I graduate to the treadmill from November to March...

    Laura
    http://laurawears.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here-here for running, girl! I'm with you...nothing quite like it.

    ReplyDelete