Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Shifting into neutral with a black suit

Victoria silk blouse: J.Crew, 2008.  Factory version here - why oh why polyester?
Black suit:  Ann Taylor, 2007
Leopard heels:  Banana Republic Mad Men Collection, fall 2011

As much as I love color, once in a while I like to shift it into neutral gear with an outfit.  However I think I startled some of my customers today with my black suit, as they're used to seeing me in brights.  But I needed to look extra corporate-y today so a suit it was.  Today during work, someone I had a meeting with kept lamenting about my youth.  He must have mentioned three times how young I was.  The whole time I was thinking, either he thinks I'm way younger than I really am, or age is all relative.  Mid-thirties isn't that young.  But perhaps to someone in his fifties, it is?  I remember when I was in my mid-twenties I thought I had all the answers.  Now I realize how young and naive I was back then, and now I know I'll never have all the answers.   But I feel like I know a whole lot more about how the world works at this point, than I did back then.  That's probably the only thing I like about getting older:  the wisdom that comes with it.  One fashion blogger  that I read on a regular basis mentioned the other day that at age 27, she was almost officially old.  My thought was:  Seriously?? Oh honey, you have no idea. 

How do you feel about getting older? 

14 comments:

  1. It is all relative. When I lived in southern France (full of French retirees), I felt very young. When I lived in a city in Europe that has many universities, I felt young. But I know I would feel differently now.
    Also, living on the East Coast now, I feel very young only because most people here are much older than me.
    So you see, it depends where you go. Being in a place full of young, healthy, young people is truly inspiring. But that is not the place on the East Coast where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience. IT's definitely relative!

      Delete
  2. Great look!

    http://aimerose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE getting older. In two months I will be 34 and FABULOUS. I am sick to death of people remarking how they confuse with the students at work. Super annoying and at times condescending. But I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side.

    Yeah, I prefer you with colors but at least you squeezed a bit of animal print into your outfit! I do like me some leopard print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your attitude TC! Thanks, I love leopard too!

      Delete
  4. some days i wish i had more of a reason to dress up more! great suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I definitely feel confident when I wear a suit.

      Delete
  5. I like getting older. Maybe someday I'll change my mind, but with age comes lots of fun stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true in some ways. But then again I look back at the freedom I had in my 20's and wonder what I did with all that free time?

      Delete
  6. I don't mind getting older either for the insight about life it has provided, although I do wish I had done some things differently in my 20s that would have benefitted me more now. Wear more sunscreen, travel more before having kids--that kind of stuff. Perhaps your bright colors help people think you're younger since it looks so lively. I say take those compliments where you can get them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about wishing I'd done things a little differently. But hindsight is always 20/20! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. When shopping for Men's suits, the color is a very important factor to consider. You need to choose which one will help you look good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to buy a mens suit for my wedding and i was wondering to order it online. Any Suggestion!

    ReplyDelete