Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Stripes + Casbah

Navy/green striped top:  Banana Republic, spring 2012
Pencil skirt in casbah print:  J.Crew Factory, summer 2012
Password pumps: Seychelles
Disclosure:  This was yesterday's outfit.  I didn't post it after my J.Crew reviews as I figured you'd seen enough of me posing in front of the dress room mirrors.  Today I actually wore this dress in the exact same way as last time, so I didn't want to bore you with an outfit repeat.  So I decided to post this little pattern mixing number from yesterday.  What do you think?  When I first started this little blog in April, I had very little experience with pattern mixing.  I still think it can go very bad, very quickly.  But keeping the color schemes in the same family really seems to help pattern mixing make sense.  And it can take a simple outfit like a top and a skirt to a much more interesting level. 

Do you like to pattern mix?  What are your tricks for keeping it cohesive? 

On another note, I bought a bun form at the drugstore and used it on my hair in this picture.  LOVE it!  I already have a lot of hair so using the bun form gave me the most gigantic ballerina bun ever.  (You can kind of see it in the pictures from the J.Crew reviews in the previous post.)  If you haven't tried on yet, go buy one!  They're less than $5.00 and if I can do it anyone can.  Looks a lot better than my normal half-ass half ponytail! 

4 comments:

  1. I love when other people mix patterns, but I'm afraid I have too many solids in my wardrobe to do much of it :/ I think mixing patterns with a stripe always works, it's almost like a neutral!

    I'm a new follower and wanted to tell you how much I love your blog!! I recently got married and decided it was about time to kick up my wardrobe to something a bit more sophisticated and classic. So, I have reeled in my makeup buying and traded it in for a clothing addiction ;)

    First on my list are a few pencil skirts. If only J.Crew still had that casbah print! I will have to stalk ebay. haha
    xx
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pattern mix! and it also reminds me that I need to wear my casbah skirt.
    BTW, what is the bun form called and where do you get them? I'd love to try it...my hair is fine and thin, so maybe it will give my pitiful little bun some oomph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the brand I got is Goody? You can get it at any drugstore, it comes in a white box and it just says "Bun Form" on the box...the actual bun form looks like a mesh donut that you slip around your ponytail then swirl your hair around it and pin...kind of hard to explain but I promise it is not hard and it makes a great looking bun! :)

      Delete
  3. YES! Bun form! It is the only reason I am surviving the summer! Love the casbah skirt on you.

    ReplyDelete